2026-08-19 08:45:10
Rodri has signed for Barcelona in a £65 million move from Manchester City.
The Spanish midfielder has signed a four-year contract with the Catalan club and explained that Barca was his “first option” after he opted to leave City.
Rodri said at his unveiling on Tuesday (18.08.26): “I am so happy to be here. It’s a really special day, a new, important chapter in my career.
“It was a tough decision. Firstly because I was leaving City, who gave me everything. I was really happy there and will always be grateful. I appreciate how they facilitated my exit.
“Barcelona has always been a reference for me because of the values and the playing style here. It’s true I had another offer, but Barca was the first option and I told the board here that.”
Rodri was named player of the tournament as Spain won the World Cup this summer and stressed that he is ready to start playing straight away despite his shortened summer break.
The 2024 Ballon d’Or winner said: “I am ready to play now. I hope to train tomorrow, get back up to speed and be ready to help the team as soon as possible.
“I was with a lot of the [Barca players] for two months at the World Cup. I have seen them today. It’s a young squad with a desire to big things. I hope I can contribute. It’s been a warm reception so far.”
Rodri also expressed his excitement at getting to work with Barcelona coach Hansi Flick.
He said: “I spoke with [Flick] and he transmitted his hopes to me. I am really excited to work with him. I love his bold way of playing football. I still have room to improve and I think he can complement my style of playing. I have spoken more with Deco and (Joan) Laporta, but Flick is a really transparent coach. I am here to play my part.”
Visit Bang Premier (main website)
