2026-02-16 12:32:07

Conor Benn thinks Mario Barrios will defeat Ryan Garcia.

El Azteca, 30, will be defending his WBC welterweight title against The Flash, 27, on Saturday (21.02.26) in Las Vegas, and Benn – who will fight the victor of the bout – has now u-turned on his winner prediction.

Taking to social media, The Destroyer, 29, said: “You lot think I’m joking … I bet any money Barrios stops Garcia. I bet you any money.

“I’m not even joking. [Garcia] is gonna fumble the bag. Barrios, any money, stops Garcia. I am 100 per cent confident. Taking bets.”

Benn previously insisted he had “no doubt” Garcia would defeat Barrios.

He said: “I’ll be there ringside and I want the winner. No doubt [it will be] Garcia. So, Garcia-Benn – I like the sound of that.”

Last month, Benn verbally sparred Shakur Stevenson, 28, following Fearless’ victory Teofimo Lopez, also 28, but The Destoyer’s promoter Frank Smith insisted he was targeting the winner of Ryan Garcia vs Mario Barrios or Ronaldo ‘Rolly’ Romero, 30 for his next fight.

The Matchroom Boxing boss told talkSPORT: “I don’t think it’s the favourite fight right now. I think Conor wants to win a 147-pound world title. “He’s got a Rolly Romero opportunity that we’re working on.

“He’s got the Ryan Garcia against Mario Barios winner – he’s mandatory for the WBC world title — and he’s always wanted to win that WBC belt.

“Look at the position Conor Benn is in, though. He’s got Shakur Stevenson, a four-weight champion of the world, calling him out. That’s what Conor does.”

Smith added “anything is possible” and pointed to Benn’s two fights with Chris Eubank Jr., 36, which ultimately resulted in The Destroyer emerging from the ring victorious.

The Matchroom head continued: “There’s so many fights we’ve said over the years, ‘We’re not going to see that one happen.’ Originally, Eubank Jr and Benn.

“Who would have said all those years ago that Conor Benn would fight Chris Eubank Jr? It happened twice.”

Despite the noise around Benn’s next opponent, The Destroyer’s trainer Tony Sims recently admitted his clash with Garcia may not happen due to time constraints.

Sims said of Benn: “He’s mandatory for the winner of that fight, so he’s in a good position.

“It depends on how big the turnaround is. February 21 is the week before March, and I know Conor would like to box in April, but that’s only eight or nine weeks after his [Garcia’s] fight.”

Visit Bang Premier (main website)